Roaches and Fridges
A refrigerator infested with cockroaches is one of the worst things that could happen to you.
A place that is supposed to store your food is instead crawling with these disease-carrying pests; it sounds like a nightmare, doesn’t it?
Unfortunately, this nightmare has come true for many people all across the world.
We understand that roaches in the fridge are a problem you need to solve instantly.
This article will tell you how to eliminate cockroaches from your fridge, how to prevent them from entering further, and what is actually causing an infestation.
So keep reading.
Can Roaches Live Inside the Refrigerator?
Roaches live in warm, moist, and humid places.
While the refrigerator is not the most suitable place for a roach to survive, it can live inside the motor of the fridge, only occasionally coming inside to take its food supplies.
You will rarely find any roaches in the freezer as they can’t stand that cold temperature.
But the occasional visit will be enough to spread diseases, and with a regular food supply, they will multiply very fast.
How Do Roaches Get Inside The Refrigerator?
As stated above, a refrigerator is not the most welcoming place for a roach; this means that it probably came inside by mistake.
However, an unclean refrigerator will invite more and more cockroaches.
So, if you have a roach infestation in your fridge it’s most probably a cleanliness issue.
A worn gasket on the door, or the fridge door not closing properly, also gives easy entry to the roach.
A combination of an unclean fridge and easy access can cause a cockroach infestation in your refrigerator.
How to Get Roaches Out of Your Refrigerator?
Regular cleaning of the fridge should curb your problem of roaches, but if the infestation is too much, these are some of the steps you can take for immediate solution:
- Locate the place of origin of the cockroaches. Pull the refrigerator away from the wall and check the back of the refrigerator and underneath the bottom.
- Clean the entire fridge thoroughly. Clean the refrigerator condenser coils, motor and empty the water pan underneath the fridge.
- Clean the area surrounding the fridge, in case the cockroaches were coming from there.
- While cleaning, keep an eye out for cockroach eggs and baby roaches. That will tell you how bad the infestation is.
- Throughout your house, seal any cracks that are more than 1/8th of an inch. This will prevent their further movement into your home.
- You can also use traps to capture and kill the cockroaches. You can place these in areas around the fridge where the roach infestation can be seen.
- You can also use natural repellants like neem, bay leaves, and peppermint oil to repel roaches. These are preferred as you are dealing with food.
- You can also dust a little boric acid around the refrigerator to prevent the entry of roaches. Do not use this inside the fridge as it’s a chemical substance and can prove fatal.
How to Keep Roaches Out of Your Fridge?
Regular cleanliness is the best way to keep roaches out of your fridge permanently. But if that is not helping, you could use some additional preventive measures like:
- Neem, bay leaves and peppermint oil are good repellants of cockroaches. They are also natural so you can use them inside the fridge.
- You can use boric acid around the fridge.
- Do not leave the fridge door open for long periods of time.
- Look for any other open areas in the refrigerator that could be an access point for roaches and make sure to get them sealed.
- Use containers with lids to cover your food inside the refrigerator.
Precautions to Take While Getting Rid of Roaches in Fridge
Some precautions you need to keep in mind while getting rid of roaches in your fridge:
- As roaches like warm temperature, make sure you don’t switch off your refrigerator for long durations like when you are going out for vacation, etc.
- Do not use any kind of chemical pesticide or roach foggers inside the refrigerator as it could poison your food and prove to be fatal.
- Throw out all the food from the fridge once an infestation has been spotted inside.
- Use gloves while cleaning the refrigerator, so you don’t come in direct contact with anything they may have been left behind.
Exterminate Roaches with Professional Pest Control Services
Getting rid of roaches from electrical appliances can be one of the toughest jobs for a homeowner, especially if facing a heavy roach infestation.
This is where a licensed exterminator comes into the picture! These professionals will not only eliminate the roaches from your refrigerator, but also ensure that these pesky pests leave your house indefinitely and do not come back.
To know more about them, fill the below-mentioned form to get free multiple quotes from the professional Pest Control Companies in your vicinity so that you can decide which one to hire for your infestation problem.
Don’t worry; all the details that you fill in are 100% safe here! And by filling the form, at least, you’ll know how much you will have to pay if you take the help of your local exterminators.
The refrigerator is one place we do not want to see a cockroach roaming around.
But these are pesky little creatures have a way of squeezing themselves into any place imaginable.
The only permanent solution to this problem is to maintain cleanliness in your house.
If the infestation is heavy, then it is best to consult a pest controller.
We hope this article has provided you with relevant information on how to deal with roaches in your refrigerator.
If you have any further questions or issues you want to address, please feel free to reach out to us in the comments below.
Hope you have a clean, hygienic, and safe 2022!