Cockroaches are one of the most dreaded pests, and it’s easy to see why Cockroach Control is also an important topic. Not only are they simply gross to look at, roaches are carriers of filth and disease as well! When it comes to cockroaches, there are a lot of myths surrounding them due to misinformation spread throughout the years. Could they really survive a nuclear war? Do they actually cause allergies? One thing’s for sure: having cockroaches inside your home is something no homeowner wants to deal with. With cockroach infestations common this time of year in Gauteng, it’s important to know what’s fact versus fiction.
Cockroach Facts vs. Myths
If you’ve ever read an article on cockroaches, it likely mentions that roaches can survive a nuclear bomb. Although cockroaches are capable of withstanding 10 times the radiation that a human can, they would not survive a nuclear event. Perhaps one of the more terrifying pieces of information spread about cockroaches is that they can live without their heads. This is true to a degree—they have been known to survive for a week without their heads but will eventually die from a lack of water. Whether it’s fact or fiction, it’s clear that cockroaches are one of the hardiest pests on the planet, which is one of the reasons why they can be hard to control.
FAQs on Cockroaches & Cockroach Control
Despite the several myths, many of the things you hear about cockroaches are completely true! Our experts have answered five of the most common questions and concerns people have about cockroaches:
- How long do cockroaches survive without food?
- Roaches can survive for up to a month without ingesting any food, but will typically die without water within a week!
- Do cockroaches cause allergies?
- Yes! Roach droppings, skin, and saliva are all known to release particles that can trigger allergic reactions in some people.
- Do cockroaches bite?
- Although it’s very rare and only in circumstances when their food supply is short, cockroaches are indeed capable of biting.
- How long do cockroaches live?
- Despite what many people believe, cockroaches typically live anywhere from a few months to a couple of years.
- Do cockroaches reproduce quickly?
- Yes. They have a quick reproduction cycle and female roaches can produce 200–300 offspring within a year.
Methods of Cockroach Control
Because cockroach infestations can be difficult to get rid of, it’s important to know how to prevent roaches in the first place. Additionally, it’s best to get professional help when you notice a cockroach in your property—when you see one cockroach, there’s likely many more hidden elsewhere. An expert pest control company such as Accend Solutions can help control any current cockroach issue you may be experiencing as well as prevent future ones from forming. Get in touch today or you can also learn more about cockroaches by reading some of our blogposts below:
For Cockroach Control bookings: email@example.com or Call 083 357 4409/ 068 474 7303.